How to prepare spaghetti carbonara - homemade carbonara sauce
Spaghetti a la carbonara, made with the famous carbonara sauce is one of those legendary Italian recipes, family tradition and that occupy a position of honor along with other delicacies such as pesto or Bolognese sauce.
Its preparation is quite simple. If you stick to the tradition and do not start inventing, you will only need 3 ingredients to prepare it.
In fact, the original version of this recipe does not refer to a "carbonara sauce"em>, but some carbonara spaghetti , since it is a dish rather than just a sauce.
On the other hand, there are variations of this recipe that are the ones that many cases we have eaten throughout our lives. The most popular variation is the incorporation of cream in its preparation.
And it is good to clarify it: The authentic carbonara sauce recipe DOES NOT CARRY CREAM .
anyway, the version with cream is also very delicious and equally simple to prepare.
Carbonara paste? Carbonara sauce? Or spaghetti carbonara?
These three terms are often used a little at random when we talk about the famous Italian dish, I'll explain it quickly:
Pasta carbonara: in theory any dish with pasta, with any type of pasta using the aforementioned sauce.
Carbonara sauce: It would only be the sauce itself. Although it is normal to use it with some type of pasta, it may well be part of a recipe with chicken, say a chicken dipped in carbonara sauce, which is not bad idea, hehehe.
Spaghetti carbonara: this would be the authentic and traditional Italian recipe and we are referring to in this post.
I hope that with these explanations has been a little clearer everything 🙂
Spaghetti a la carbonara original recipe
Below I will explain both versions: how to prepare an authentic Italian carbonara pasta with spaghetti and then how to make carbonara sauce with cream.
- 4 eggs
- 100 gr of Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano)
- 100 gr bacon
- Olive oil
- Cut the bacon into strips that are not too large but not too small and fry them in olive oil at medium heat. When it is golden, remove it from the heat and reserve.
- In a deep bowl beat the eggs with the Parmesan cheese until a creamy consistency is obtained. Add a touch of salt, pepper and reserve.
- Now you just have to prepare the pasta.
- The ideal is to use spaghetti.
- Once the pasta is ready pass it through a sieve and, even though it is very hot, put it in a large pan (or in a pot) with the mixture of eggs and cheese and with the bacon.
- Important: do not mix the pasta with the sauce on a lit stove. The heat of the freshly made pasta will be enough to "lightly cook" the egg of the carbonara sauce and create the classic creamy consistency of this recipe.